Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 10, 2013

How To Have The Handbag Wardrobe Of Your Dreams

When you thrift, the sky's the limit on your handbag collection!

As far as the stereotypical female obsession with purses and shoes, I'm very late to the party.

My family had limited resources when I was growing up, so my early handbags were either gifts, hand me downs, or bought by me with my babysitting money. I remember one gross example, that I bought in high school and carried for (it seemed) a million years. Scratchy canvas and vinyl, it was ugly and utilitarian. I wasn't a particularly girlie girl in my early teens, so just remembering to carry the thing required a lot of brain power on my part. Honestly? It carried my sanitary napkins. When I could get away with it, I only carried my wallet. My need for a mirror, hairbrush and lipstick came much later.

In the 80's, I had my first handbag obsession. Remember the Liz Claiborne small patterned handbags? Oh my, I wanted one so badly. I was a young married womaan with (again) limited finances, so I worked a deal out with my mom. She allowed me use of her Lazarus credit card to buy a Liz purse, and I made weekly payments on it. Golly, I loved those things. Ultimately, the price I paid became a burden, as I didn't like to be held down to one purse. I wanted a variety to choose from in my closet, and didn't have the funds.

Fast forward to the last 10 years. All of a sudden, women are donating their designer purses to thrift stores, and I am benefitting! My first Coach purses came from Goodwill, at $14.99 a pop. Jessica Simpson has gorgeous handbags, and I've gotten quite a few second hand. Vera Bradley? YEAH BABY!! The other day, I was looking in the window of a consignment shop, and they had several new looking Coach crossbodies. There are TONS of handbag opportunities out there, ripe for the picking! The thing is, PICK QUICK! If you like it, odds are someone else will, and they'll snap it up before you come back to pick it up! I still regret not buying the Louis Vuitton totebag I saw several years ago in the glass case at my Goodwill. At $69, I felt I couldn't justify it....until I found those same totebags, brand new, ran several thousands. I'm still on the look out for another one.......!!

Now, I have quite a collection in my closet. In fact, I just had to do a major purge. It's one thing to have a nice variety in all your favorite colors. It's quite another to fight claustrophobia every time you open your closet door.

My daughter has a fabulous Dooney & Bourke crossbody she loves. $18.00, originally upwards of $300. Unlike her mama, Claire isn't going to let limited finances dictate her handbag choices! It's truly an awesome time to be alive........when you can get what you want, at the price you want to pay.

So, if you have a serious handbag craving, check out the resale market. You will be AMAZED at what you find!

HAPPY NATIONAL HANDBAG DAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment