Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Shopping Less........Enjoying More


We frame pictures to make them unique....to set them apart. With a frame, your eye goes right to the picture. You can see the important, instead of focusing on things you don't need to. Without a frame, a picture would melt right into the wallpaper.

It's the same with shopping less. When you're not constantly going shopping 'for fun' or recreation, you tend to think more about the things you NEED to buy. If you're bored, and you head to the mall, a simple trip to Hot Topic can turn into a wardrobe of Dr. Who apparel. Just sayin.

I've thought a lot about this while I was recuperating from surgery. I was literally stuck at home, and even if I'd wanted to, shopping wasn't an option for several weeks. When I finally DID head out to the store, it was because Claire had bronchitis, and we had to go to Meijer for her prescriptions. It wasn't a fun trip.

Anyway, when you're not going to Meijer every day for milk, you aren't confronted with the clothing department right there at the front. So, you tend to think less in terms of 'instant gratification,' and more along the lines of 'what do I really need?'

Towards the end of my time at home, I realized that the weather had turned colder. When I left work, I'd been wearing t-shirts. Now, I was going to need a new fleece jacket, and long sleeved shirts. Those items would serve me well for several years at work. Usually I'd find those items second hand, but this time, because I didn't have the time (or stamina) for thrift shopping, I picked my jacket up at Meijer (on sale, of course), and the long sleeved shirts were had at Target.com (free shipping!). When I woke up this morning, I was all set to head back to work :)

I'm getting better about not buying things on impulse, but I know how hard it is to resist when you're always running to get the basics at a big box store. There's gorgeous sweaters with the potato chips, for pete's sake! For those times, grow yourself a nice pair of blinders.

Your checkbook and credit card will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment