Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Exercising: Free and Cheap and No Excuses!!


Except for the early 80's, when my mother and I belonged to a gym called Spa Lady, I have always been an advocate of exercising at home. I prefer it that way, actually. Even at my fittest, working out next to someone who might be more buff or athletic than me is SUCH a buzzkill. I need to protect my delicate psyche any way I can :)

Walking is the best. Next comes running. Obviously you have to work up from walking to running. Skip that first step and I'll see you at the ER.

At home weight sets rock too. Breaking a sweat in the basement by yourself is cool. Don't lift more than humanly possible, especially if you're by yourself. Again, ER visit.

Treadmills, stationary bikes, all good. Of course, there is the initial cost involved for at home gym equipment. If you actually use it and see results, that's money well spent.

My favorite at home workout was always a VCR tape. Denise Austin was my girl! After having Brendan and Claire, I had to work hard to get back into shape, and I loved Denise's tapes. She's not everyone's cup of tea, and I appreciate that. I'm not a Tony Little fan; in fact, he makes me grind my teeth. I've heard Denise has the same effect on some folks.

Anyway, I had quite a collection of Denise Austin videos. My favorite was her 'Sizzler' workout. Talk about a sweatfest! That thing had me seeing Jesus about halfway through, every time I used it. Effective? You bet your cellulite.

I replaced my 'Sizzler' tape several times, as I used it so much I wore it out. After that, my VCR pooped out, and we didn't replace it.

Most videos are now being made as DVDS. Not the 'Sizzler.' Doesn't make sense, and I did the appropriate amount of mourning.

Mourn no more, sweet, out of shape Erin. Just go to YouTube.

No longer just the website of choice for cute kitten videos, or about a million versions of the Miley Cyrus/VMA debacle, YouTube is EXCELLENT for viewing free workout videos! Guess what's there? That's right, my beloved 'Sizzler,' along with almost every other video and DVD Denise Austin ever made.

There are really NO MORE excuses for not exercising, babe. If it's important enough, you'll find the time :P

No comments:

Post a Comment