Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stocking The Basics: Jewelry


So, here we are. Fresh palette and no bling. So many possibilities! The world is your oyster, and it's just waiting for you to run to the mall and plunk down your plastic! You'll have that box stocked in NO time.

Stocked? Yes. Filled with thoughtful purchases? Maybe, but more likely not.

Let's do an exercise. Sit back in your computer chair and turn off your thoughts. Breathe deeply.

Now, I want you to think about what your favorite pieces of jewelry are (or used to be). What are your 'go-to' items? If you're dressing for work.......for church......a wedding or funeral. Maybe a lunch out with friends or family. How about a run to the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon?

Did any pieces immediately spring to mind?

I offer myself only as a guideline to get your juices flowing. I'm not vain enough to believe my choices are YOUR choices, too. Then again, you could be my long lost twin! Hey ma! Look who I found!

For starters, let's do earrings. For me, I rely on gold ball studs. About 4 different sizes of hoops......tiny for every day. Medium for work. Large for church or general dressing up. Extra large for possibly a concert or other special event. Also, my trusty CZ studs. I wear them EVERYWHERE.........around the house, in the pool, grocery shopping, you name it. Nothing (for me, anyway) finishes an outfit quite like a stud with shine. So, if I were starting over, those would be my earring basics.

Next, a watch. You know I like a big, gold man's watch. It truly goes with everything. You may prefer a smaller, dainty watch, and that's cool. No one should rock something they're not comfortable with. For me, I did the 'tiny' watch thing for years, and now I'm ready to actually SEE what's on my wrist!

Bracelets. So many choices! Again, we're talking the 'starter' jewelry box, so I'd go with a medium sized, plain gold bangle. Perfectly tasteful for anything. Plus, I'd do a smaller version to wear with my watch. That's just me. So, two bangles.

Rings? Well, this is where personal preference REALLY comes in. I'd probably start with a sparkly CZ show stopper, and also a large, gold knuckle ring. Both would cover all the areas and social events in my life.

There you have it. Now, where to get it?

Believe it or not, I have found almost all these pieces (at one time or another) at a thrift store! Our Goodwill just recently started selling brand new jewelry, and I found a fabulous multipack of hoop earrings for $1.29! Good colored gold plate, and the various sizes were perfect. Although I have found beautiful rings resale, I have better luck with the big and the bold (not to mention the price) at Walmart or Meijer. Sometimes Penney's or Sears have fabulous jewelry sales, too. That's where I got that lovely tank watch for $10. My favorite 'gold' watch came from Kohl's, on sale for $12.99.

Your own life will dictate what 'must haves' you need for your jewelry box. Your job, your social calendar, your taste in either gold or silver (or both!).......the possibilities are limitless.

So are your jewelry resale options.

No comments:

Post a Comment