Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Stocking The Basics, Thriftnerd Style


What if you lost everything? In this day and age, that's not a rare occurrence. Hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, wild fires.......even a major windstorm can take away everything materially you've worked for your whole life. All of a sudden, you're standing atop a pile of what used to be your home.

I've actually thought of this scenario a lot. Several years ago, friends of ours saw their house completely burn to the ground. They lost everything. We all rallied around with money, clothing, household goods, and someone even came forward with a new house to rent. What was initially a tragedy became an opportunity to start fresh.

When I can't sleep, I lay awake at night thinking of a number of things, but often I think of what I would replace if I lost all my earthly goods. Beyond the furniture and other household necessities, what would I replace of my personal belongings? My wardrobe and jewelry? Sounds trivial.......until you're wearing an ensemble from The Red Cross while you replace your things.

With that in mind, Thriftnerd is starting a week long blogging series on 'Stocking The Basics, Thriftnerd Style.'

For most of us, a visit to our closet reveals mass accumulation. Stepping into mine, I see things I bought years ago. Are they necessary, or did I buy them on impulse? If they were suddenly snatched away from me, would they be replaced?

Would I still buy that leopard print skirt that only goes with one top? Would I find another hot pink rhinestone clutch to replace this one? Probably not. Losing all your things tends to clarify what's important and what's
just........silly.

Sometimes fashion magazines have articles about 'must have' items for your wardrobe. Unfortunately, it's not a 'one size fits all' world, so while one woman may NEED a pair of black stilettos, another more likely wears black flats. Only YOU know what YOU need.

So, I'll be offering guidelines. And of course, planting the seed that your ultimate 'stock up shop' is a thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment