Total Pageviews

Monday, July 1, 2013

'I Can Never Find Anything At A Thrift Store!!!'


Successful thrift shopping is like eating right and exercising. You have to do it REGULARLY. Working out one day and then bemoaning the fact that it made no difference in how your string bikini fits is pretty silly. Eating a cup of lowfat yogurt on Monday, and then eating a McDonald's lunch every day afterward is the same kind of principle. To see the results you desire, you must invest a little time and effort.

If you want to shop at thrift stores and find good deals, start small. Find a store near your home or work, and then visit regularly. Maybe a couple days a week. You may not find anything one day, but the next hit the jackpot. Don't give up! Make this store very convenient and not a drain on your gas budget. I plan my thrift store visits in conjunction with other stops. I always hit Plato's Closet and Clothes Mentor in Westerville when I get my hair colored at my mom's. I only go to the Marion Goodwill when I'm in town.

I know thrift stores can be overwhelming. They aren't set up the same way as a store in the mall. You're often doing well to have things all organized by size, or item of clothing. Some thrift stores organize by color, and then it's up to YOU to find your size. Either way, making early scouting trips to acquaint yourself with the 'lay of the land' is the best way to find thrift store success. At my favorite Goodwill in Delaware, I have a set route through the store: first, the jewelry and high end purses. Then, the prom dresses. Next, the shoes and regular purses. And, so on. Having this route in mind is especially important on days I have a set schedule, and can't leisurely shop all areas of the store.

Always check out what kind of dressing room situation each store has. Goodwill has nice, easily accessible dressing rooms. Some thrift stores have NONE! For these particular stores, dress accordingly. Wearing leggings and a tank top ensures you can pop an item of clothing over your head in the aisle without worry. Also, wear shoes that are easy to take off in case you find that perfect pair of stilettos. At my Goodwill, they actually have a box with 'peds' so you can try on shoes even if you're not wearing socks or hose.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: TRY ON YOUR CHOICES. It will save you a trip back to return it! Try on the necklaces, rings and bracelets. Wear the purses and check out in a mirror how they look on your body. Is that scarf long enough for how you want to wrap it? Are there any stains or holes? Missing buttons? Now's the time to find out! Can you actually WALK in those stilettos? Don't worry, no one will judge you as you hobble around the store! It's a THRIFT SHOP!

I know thrift shopping isn't for everyone, just as running marathons is appealing for only a select few. If you want thrift store shopping success, using these pointers can help you achieve it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment