Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

When TV Shows Kill Your Budget


Every summer, Claire uses her spare time to develop a new obsession. Several years ago, it was The Beatles. The movies 'Help!' and 'A Hard Day's Night' were in heavy rotation. Last summer, it was Dr. Who. That started the Great Netflix Battle of 2012 between Claire and Brendan.

This summer's obsession is 'Friends.' I also am enjoying watching the antics of Ross, Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler and Joey all over again. I'd forgotten just how hilarious that show was!

I'd also forgotten how enthralling it was to check out the wardrobes of Monica, Phoebe and especially Rachel. Granted, we're talking circa 1994-2004 here, but how cute did those girls look? No one rocked the latest fads and fashions quite like those 3.

It brought me back to just how much those girls influenced MY shopping habits. Oh! I had those shoes! Wow, I wore tops just like those! Didn't everyone have one of those sweaters?

I realize I'm a pretty late bloomer, but I honestly don't remember being influenced fashion wise by any other TV show before 'Friends.' Even though I was born in the early '60's, even watching 'The Brady Bunch' didn't make me want to run right out and buy the latest double knit polyester monstrosity Marcia and her sisters were rocking on Friday nights.

When 'Friends' came out, I was a young mom of a 2 year old boy, and got pregnant with Claire that fall. Nevertheless, watching that show greatly influenced my clothes buying habits. Seeing each episode now makes me nostalgic for a simpler time, and a smaller-sized wardrobe.

I can honestly say I never got into trouble financially from watching 'Friends,' but I'll bet a lot of people did. You know what sheep we are. Buying those cute overalls will make me look like Jennifer Aniston!! Saying that with a straight face is almost impossible in 2013.

When the early Aughts came along, I started watching 'CSI.' Marg Helgenberger as Cat was cool and sophisticated, with a wardrobe to match. I loved her style, and I have to admit, more than one jewelry purchase on my part was made due to whatever Cat wore that week to mop up blood and chase bad guys in Vegas. I liked her minimalist vibe. Thankfully and yet again, I didn't run up serious debt channeling my favorite crime scene investigator, but I could have.

Let's be honest now. How many of us make our clothing purchases based on what our favorite TV and movie actors wear? You don't have to like the over the top fashion of the Kardashians to know what I'm talking about. Mariska Hargitay on 'Law and Order: SVU' is stylish and so pulled together. Even the 'poverty chic' of 'Two Broke Girls' has a certain appeal. I DO like Max's jewelry!

But, we're all adults, right? We don't let media influence our checkbooks. Or do we? Better yet, how about our kids? Taken a good look at Nickolodeon or the Disney Channel lately? Ever hear of 'Victorious?' Yeah, watching THAT show is like taking in a live action Seventeen magazine spread. Preteen girls are gobbling it up, and nagging their parents to drive them to the mall to emulate those expensive ensembles. It's hard enough to be a responsible parent, but gorgeous young models with perfect bodies and blinding white teeth decked out in $295 jeans can be very persuasive for the pubescent set.

Let's be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment