Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thrift Store Discount Cards & Curbside Treasures


I go for days, looking for inspiration for my blog. Sometimes I am dry as a bone in the inspiration department. Other days, like today, yield a double subject!

I don't know if Goodwill has this policy at all their stores in the United States, but here in Ohio, they issue their fabulous 'blue card.' If you've shopped at Goodwill and haven't been offered one, ask! They stamp each square with every $10 you spend, and when you fill up the card, it entitles you to $10 in free Goodwill merchandise! It's an awesome deal! I like to save my cards for times when we want to go thrift shopping, but don't have much money. Yesterday, Claire and I used my latest filled card on a prom dress! Yep, it's only the end of July and she already has her homecoming and prom dresses! Thank you, Goodwill!

On our way to run some errands yesterday, Claire and I spotted this treadmill. It was placed on the curb in front of a neighbor's house, and it had a 'free' sign on it. Immediately, I called Michael and told him to check it out. He did, and informed me it worked but needed new tread. Well, I left it up to him as to whether he wanted to grab it or not. He's my go to guy who can fix anything, but if he deemed it a lost cause, it wouldn't be worth it. Today, he picked it up on the way to work. According to our research, this model treadmill (electric and with an incline) runs on average $179. He's already found new tread on Amazon for $47. So, for that price and a little elbow grease, we'll have a nifty treadmill for that empty spot in the family room, perfectly placed in front of the television. No one in the house will have an excuse NOT to exercise!

Have you ever nabbed a curbside 'gift?' There's no shame in finding a lovely freebie by the side of the road. I've blogged about the microwave I grabbed for the shop, and I've found several nice tables, too. We have a great playhouse in our backyard that our neighbor threw out, and our granddaughter Makenna, LOVES it.

The next time you see something interesting at the curb, backtrack and take a look. It's the ultimate in recycling! What do you have to lose by picking up a freebie? Absolutely nothing. You could score big!

No comments:

Post a Comment