Total Pageviews

Monday, April 22, 2013

Collecting? Or 12 Step Program?



Yes. I bought another one. I also filled it up.

Not too long ago, I posted pictures of the ways I organized my jewelry, and kept it all within my sight so I could see it every day when I got ready for the day. I THOUGHT I had my bracelets all organized, but then I found another organizer at Goodwill.......and when I brought it home, I FILLED IT UP!!

So, now I have two large (and one small) hanging bracelet organizers. A week later, it has paid off in that I have worn bracelets that hadn't been added to the rotation in a while, due to me not seeing them.........because they were all mashed together. With the added organizer, everything is laid out much better.

So. Now that I've attempted to justify all of this, let me mull a bit.

I have a LOT (Understatement Of The Century) of bracelets. True, most of them cost between $1-$3. There are some pricier pieces in there, but they are in the minority. It is just too dang easy to pop into a thrift store, Plato's Closet, Closet Mentor, or an antique store, and come out with at least one gorgeous and cheap bracelet. In the past, you've seen a lot of these bracelets require a good dose of brass polish, or bead reconstruction/restringing.

I have big bracelets, to be worn on their own........medium sized bracelets, to be grouped with other like sized pieces, and small beaded and chain numbers that are worn with my watches. I have 3, by the way.

I'll admit it. When I filled this latest organizer with absolutely no trouble, at first I was horrified. WHO HAS THIS MANY BRACELETS??? Good grief! Then, when I stepped back, I realized it truly is a collection. Some people collect figurines, or paintings. Pokemon cards or first edition hardback books. Record albums.

In high school, I collected unicorns and gnomes. I also had a stick pin collection.

When I finally started breathing again, I realized my bracelet collection has cost me very little money. It's not a collection of fine china or Hummel figurines, for pete's sake. I don't schedule my life around my aquisition of bracelets. When you're running out for milk or bunny food, and you pop into Goodwill for 5 minutes and find a beautiful brass bangle for $3? Barely a blip on my screen.

I always go back to, 'am I being a good steward of what I have?' With my new organizer, I am. I can wear every bracelet I own, because I see them all with a glance. If they sat there and gathered dust.....THEN, I'd have a reason to feel guilty!

No comments:

Post a Comment