Total Pageviews

Friday, March 22, 2013

Bangin' Bangle Friday 3/22: Cold Weather Creativity



I do my best jewelry making during the winter. Why not? I'm not going to be out sunning myself by the pool, after all. Nope........give me a snuggly afternoon by the fire, and I'll be messing around with my ever growing bead and jewelry findings collection.

Way back in the early aughts (2002, to be exact), I was suffering through a Michigan winter. I was no stranger to the snow and cold, but we'd moved to Michigan after 6 blissfully sunkissed years in Vegas. That first winter? More snow than the hardy Michiganders had seen in a looooong time. Woot. So, I looked for other way to bide my time during the long winter days. I remember enjoying 'The Osbournes,' (I laughed so hard I snorted). I also decided to start making beaded jewelry. I stocked up on lots and lots of beads, findings, tools and assorted stretchy string, and got to work. Claire STILL has some of those early earrings in her jewelry box.

In my old age, I've become more picky (discerning?) about what beads I buy. I lean a little more toward the classic and metals, as opposed to the bright, crayola colored beads of 10 years ago. I also love to buy clearanced jewelry and remake it. Today's Bangin' Bangle is a prime example!

I'd seen this two pack of bracelets at Walmart for quite a while. I had no interest in the shiny beaded number, but the matte finish was nice. Both stretchy, but way too tight. I figured I'd wait until they got marked down on clearance. Once they did, I thought maybe all I'd need to do was restring them to make them more comfortable. My stretchy line has more give than the standard stuff.

No such luck. Same old tightness. Now I was digging through my endless stash of beads to see if there was something I oculd use as spacers to give the bracelet more give. Nothing looked right.......until I looked at the unused, shiny beaded bracelet and thought, 'hmmm.' A couple of THOSE beads added on, and VOILA! It's cool, it's comfortable and the shiny gold adds interest to the matte.

Simple little brainstorm, but it made the bracelet perfect.
_

No comments:

Post a Comment