Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Joys of Antique Store Digging



Are you familiar with the series 'Breaking Bad?' If so, you know the first picture above is of Marie, the Princess of Purple. No, really. She even has a purple teakettle. Anyway, I posted her picture NOT for her purple passion, but for the disc necklace she wears in most episodes. The small, disc necklace is very popular with TV and movie actresses right now. Just tune into 'CSI' and see how the lab rats accessorize!


The second picture is of MY disc necklace, which I bought from an antique store for (I'm not kidding) $1! Pardon the 'golden' hue of the picture......it's very creamy in my downstairs bathroom, but the lighting's good.

After getting a sizer put in a new ring at Bargar's jewelry in downtown Delaware, I was walking back to my car and noticed DPS Antiques and Collectibles (17 N. Sandusky St.). I'd only been in there twice........once when Claire bought her fabulous silver spoon ring for $10. That thing looks incredible and must be real silver, as she wears it all the time and the silver hasn't worn off yet.

I decided to pop in and look at their jewelry. Right in front of the register, they have several shelves full of GOBS (only way to describe them!)of necklaces, earrings, bracelets, pins and rings. They weren't displayed neatly, but in piles. Was it worth it to dig? Yes, because most of the items were only $1.

I found this necklace, a set of two thin, blingy bangles, a tiny claddaugh pin (perfect for March!), an antique police whistle (I put it on my key chain), and two beautiful pins. I found one very gorgeous drop earring, but was having a hard time finding a mate. The salesclerk (wish I'd gotten her name, she was wonderful) saw I was having an issue and actually came over and helped me look! We didn't find it (sad face) but her willingness to help me spoke volumes. When she rang everything up, she packaged each individual piece in either a small, manilla envelope or a plastic ziplock bag. Everything was separated to prevent scratching. It didn't matter my haul came from the $1 racks and only cost a total of $9 and change.......she acted as if I'd bought a set of fine china and it needed to be packed properly.

The array of fabulous jewelry, the rock bottom prices, and the unheard of customer service make me want to frequent this shop WEEKLY. The store has not only jewelry, but anything else a antique store might carry. They're so friendly (NOT my experience with ALL antique dealers on Sandusky!), you can't help but have an enjoyable shopping experience. The only caveats are that 1.) street parking on Sandusky is ALWAYS sketchy and 2.)make sure you have enough time to DIG. The good stuff is there, you just need time and patience! Oh, and bring a friend. Digging together and exclaiming over your finds is so much fun. I'm gonna go back with Claire in a couple weeks when she has Spring Break. Maybe we can get Whit's Frozen Yogurt afterwards :)

No comments:

Post a Comment