Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Can A Tightwad Eat Healthy?


Having had major surgery within the last few months, and also turning 50 (gulp) this year, it was inevitable that my attentions would turn to eating healthier. Spending my life eating at The Big Buffet, often without limits and abandon, is drawing to a close. I don't advocate cutting all gastric delights out of my life, but I do need to WATCH IT. A LOT.

Last year, I did do better in the healthy eating department. However, due to my health problems and the fact that I couldn't exercise, I packed on a serious amount of unwanted pounds. I don't have the best health background..........my father and grandfather were both diabetic, and there is more heart disease on both sides than some folks have. I honestly have no clue why I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes, especially at my age. My father was diagnosed as pre-diabetic at 40. His first heart attack was at 45.

Let me just state something that ticks me off. It's cheaper to eat junk than it is healthy, at least at first glance. That's why there's rampant obesity in this country. If you're hungry and watching your funds, and a bag of chips is a dollar, and a bushel of fresh spinach is $5.........yeah.

Let's think long range, Thriftnerd-herd. As with thrift shopping, you must plan ahead. It's the same with healthy eating. You can't just go to the grocery store without a plan. You must shop sales and do your homework. Some stores do a better job of putting healthy food on sale than others. Find those stores. Your wallet and your health will both be much appreciative.

Now, I know there are some twentysomethings (or younger) reading this blog. You say, 'I am at my optimum weight, and I eat Cheetos for breakfast every day! I do McDonald's several times a week, and my freezer is stocked with real, full fat and sugar ice cream. Yet, I'm in the best shape of my life! Besides, I HATE tomatoes.'

Well, congrats. You truly are living the dream. However, if you change your eating habits now, when your 40's hit, your belly gets jiggly and that scale isn't so forgiving, you will be miles ahead in the area of taking care of your health. I don't want you to cut out the fun stuff, though. Life without ice cream has no meaning. Just make better choices, trade some of the junk for healthier alternatives, and make those Cheetos a once a week treat.

I know it's not as convenient to eat healthier. It will pay off later in lower health care costs and less RXS for high cholesteral and sugar control. Just like thrift shopping saves your clothing budget, eating more fruits and veggies saves in the area of medical expenses.

By the way, I also wrote a dandy blog post last year about exercising and saving money. You CAN lose weight and get fit without an expensive gym membership.

Let's live 2014 healthy, wealthy and wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment