Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Girl With The Dragon Pin


You know the feeling when you've lost something, and it's been gone so long you think you'll never see it again? Maybe you even buy a replacement, and then........VIOLA! You find it!

Such is the case of my beautiful dragon pin.

Years ago, when I was a single mama, I was getting ready to go to a friend's party. I had put together a very nice outfit that had an Asian flair, and I found this gorgeous pin to wear on my blouse. It was truly a statement piece, something you don't see every day. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I do know it was second hand.

After the party, I carefully put it in my jewelry box, and never wore it again. It's not the kind of thing you get rid of, though. It's such a unique piece of jewelry, and you never know when you'll have another occasion to wear a dragon pin!

Not too long after I'd married Michael, and we moved to Delaware, little Claire eyed my dragon pin one day, and asked if she could borrow it. Of course, I said, knowing I might not see it again soon. You mothers of daughters know what I mean :)

Little did I know it would get THAT lost. Things get covered over with STUFF, but you clean and you organize, and you find it again. No such luck with my dragon pin. Through the years I have poked through my jewelry, scratching my head, wondering where that thing went. Claire swore up and down she couldn't find it, had no idea where it was, and had even switched bedrooms (with the ensuing deep cleaning), all to no avail.

No dragon pin to be found.

In December, Claire was assistant to the director on her school's Christmas pageant. One of her duties was wardrobe mistress, and she had been given, in her freshman year, a special tie that all the wardrobe girls wore. She'd not worn it again since, and she really wanted to wear it that night. We turned 2 floors of our house upside down, looking for that silly thing. In the process, guess what we DID find?

My dragon pin!

That, along with a very nice wristlet I had loaned Claire in freshman year for her first winter formal. I was really, REALLY happy to have both items returned!

I know I can come across as Ms. Organization sometimes, but those of you who know me and have been to my house, know I fight the same organizational battles as everyone else. It really pays to clean stuff out occasionally!

No comments:

Post a Comment