Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

In Praise Of Short Nails


They don't look so bad........I guess :/

Besides the obvious health benefits of having my hysterectomy, I got 3 other nice 'bonuses'......my hair grew longer, my nails grew long and strong, and I lost some weight. BOOYA!

Well, a little over a month of being back to work, my hair is still nice and long. However, I gained back 2 pounds over the holiday season (even thought I don't eat as much as I used to, go figure), and all 10 of my nails snapped within 2 weeks of being back at the salt mines. Sigh. I really liked my long nails.

I have written before on this blog about the continuing battle I have with my nails. How I had gel nails for about 15 years, until the cost of monthly upkeep got outrageous. My nails aren't the thickest things, and now with our weather being THE MOST FABULOUS EVER (please read with sarcasm dripping)I'm also battling rough cuticles. Good times.

As I have filed my nails down, and continued to use Sally Hansen 'Hard As Nails' strengthener, and Aquaphor for my cuticles, I have discovered that short nails have their merits. Easier to type, easier to keep clean (I DO work in a lawnmower shop, lest anyone forget). Short nails seem to be in style now, too. Natural and not fussy? Who knew I was riding a trend?

I don't have the most delicate looking hands. I grew up envying girls who had unlined palms. Having long nails made me feel better about them......they took the focus off my flaws.

But, as in every other area of my life, I am bound and determined to find frugal alternatives that make me feel as good as the high priced perks. I don't have the luxury of just popping into a nail salon and having them do all the work, but I do have an easy chair in the front of the fire and the tv, and a table where I can keep my nail implements.

Life is all about the trade offs. I can live with this one :)



No comments:

Post a Comment