Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mama Dixie's Jewelry Time Machine

Man, I could use a vacation. It's entirely too cold for me here in Central Ohio. Better yet, how about a trip back in a time machine? So much to see, so much to enjoy...........so much to change? LOL.

My mother has the best jewelry collection. Gorgeous pieces dating back early in the last century until now. Claire and I love to visit my mom and tip toe through the bling. A fun history lesson for us girls!

My mom has quite the jewelry storage set up, too. A whole chest devoted to long, thin drawers custom made for display. Although a collection that size appears daunting at first, my mother can scan many pieces with just the pull of a drawer.

Thanks to this fabulous storage system, my mom doesn't have to purge her collection too often. She has the room to store and enjoy LOTS and LOTS of jewelry. So, we oblige her and give her jewelry for special occasions :)


This jewelry ensemble she wore to lunch with my dad today. She says she got compliments on the earrings from one of my father's coworkers. I love it, because I bought them for her about 100 years ago.

Well, almost. Remember Phar-Mor? Good grief. Once upon a time, I was a pharmacy tech at the Phar-Mor at the corner of 161 and Cleveland Ave. That store had everything, including a wonderful jewelry and cosmetic section. You never knew what goodies you would find. I once bought myself a Seiko watch there I just about wore until it fell apart. I also invested about $75 in a bottle of Xia Xiang cologne, because a coworker of my former husband's wore it and it smelled like absolute heaven. I wore it and it smelled like mosquito repellant. Awfully expensive mosquito repellent.

Anyway, I went through a period of time where, every Christmas, I bought my mom a sweater and matching jewelry. I can't remember the sweater, but I bought these cool 'icicle' hoop earrings to match. At Phar-Mor. Man, I miss that place.

A couple years ago, I bought the necklace at Meijer. It was one of those 'I-love-this-but-it's-silver' purchases. My mom and daughter always benefit from those.

My mom wanted to show me how she put the earrings and necklace together today, and I love it. She has so much class and sass! Those earrings are over 20 years old and still kicking!! Perfect for such a 'frosty' day!

My mama is a gorgeous example of how to rock the high end and bargain buys. I love that she holds onto things and makes them work in unexpected ways. She has VISION........and she's probably who I got that from <3

No comments:

Post a Comment