Total Pageviews

Friday, November 30, 2012

Bangin' Bangle Friday 11/30

WHOO HOOOO!!!  It's the last day of November 2012!!

Seeing it's the Christmas season (and has been since July, lol), we are inundated by jewelry store commercials.  Pity the poor husband/boyfriend/fiance who screws up and buys his woman something practical for Christmas.  How will he live with the shame?

Pandora bracelets, in particular, are being shoved down our collective throats.  You can't turn on the t.v., listen to the radio, or even drive down the street without seeing an ad for Pandora, or their many imitators.  My husband even knew what a Pandora bracelet was several years ago.........proof those advertisers are getting their money's worth.

I can't remember when I started being interested in a Pandora bracelet.   They have such a huge variety of beads, so the bracelets you can make are endless.  Some beads are just plain ugly, but others are beautiful.  You have your choice of several kinds of bracelets on which to display your beads, too.  Yay for originality and not wearing your neighbor's choices!

Well, for me, the excitement stopped there.  Pandora beads start at $20.  With an average of 30 beads per bracelet, not to mention the bracelet itself, you're looking at a start up investment of (gulp) $600.  FOR THE BEADS.  Makes you look twice at that lady next to you at the BMV with the armful, doesn't it?

I had pretty much forgotten ever having a Pandora bracelet, until one day when I was window shopping in the craft department at Walmart.  Low and behold, they had their own brand of beads.  $5.99 for a set of 5, and they were in lots of colors.  I decided to get a few sets and see if I could make my own.  I had also found a bead supplier online in Singapore with pretty silver and gold beads for minimal shipping.  To be honest, I don't remember how much those beads were.......but they were cheap enough that I could order them and still buy toothpaste.

From the same supplier, I had ordered a sterling silver snake chain for the charms.  Only problem?  The clasp was a gigantic, royal, pain in the bum.  I can't begin to describe to you how I had to manuver to clasp it, and then I couldn't even do it myself............either Michael or Claire got enlisted to help.

Because the bracelet was inconvenient to wear, it sat for a couple years in my jewelry, unworn.  I fondled it every once in a while, heaved a sigh and put it back, wishing I could rescue it from the depths of the jewelry dungeon.

Then one day, I wondered if I could string the beads on the same synthetic cord I used for my other beaded bracelets.  Guess what?  It worked perfectly, and I now have another bracelet the right length to wear all year round.........even with my fleece at work during the winter.

I have to add: I don't wear the bracelet to make everyone think I'm a rich 'lady who lunches.'  I wear it because it's beautiful and it makes me happy.  That's the same criteria I use for everything I wear.  I wouldn't want someone to think I'm all about the label and prestige.  Besides, they don't have to look too far.........past my bracelet and onto my 10 year old Honda with the dog slobber on the windows........to realize I'm a pretty down to earth, low maintainence gal.


 
Although I bought my beads at Walmart, I have since found that Meijer and Hobby Lobby also have their own brand and selection.  I'm sure Michael's and JoAnn's must too, although I haven't checked to confirm this.

So, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!  You can have a pretty 'Pandora-esque' bracelet too..........for far less than those advertised stores.  Take back your holidays, ladies!  Here's to sparkly arm bling AND money left over for Christmas dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment