Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Beauty Advice On A Budget

A magazine I have a subscription to (which shall remain anonymous) recently ran an article about body changes as you age, and solutions for those changes.  So far, so good, they had my attention.

Something I have noticed as I've gotten older is that food LOVES to stay between my teeth.  Check me out right after lunch or dinner and you'll know instantly what I just ate.  GROSS.  

Wonder of wonders, I'm not the only middle aged woman with this problem!  Do you think that sometimes too?  Anyway, they actually addressed this issue, and I was thrilled.........I was finally going to be able to do something about my icky, socially unacceptable 'food between the teeth' problem!

Their answer?   Get Invisilign Braces or veneers!  HUH?   With a base price of $5000, how are these even options for the average woman?

Not too mention, how are magazines allowed to publish 'fashions for less' issues when their idea of 'less' includes $300 blazers and $500 purses?

No wonder women get discouraged and give up.  'I can't dress nicely, I can't begin to afford it' or, 'I can't have nice looking nails, I can't afford salon manicures' (given as the only alternative, of course).

Ladies, it doesn't have to be this way.   God gave us common sense for a reason.  We don't have to long to be runway ready, but we ARE God's women, and we want to look like it!

With my teeth problem, I just started carrying toothpicks.  Good old fashioned TOOTHPICKS.  I can excuse myself for 2 minutes and do a thorough once over of my teeth and I'm good to go.  I can also pop a stick of gum in my mouth afterwards.  Fresh breath and clean teeth.   

I can also cut my own nails, clean up my own cuticles, apply vaseline to soften them and put on a nice, light coat of polish.  I can also put on a clear coat, or buff them to a shine.  This takes about an hour weekly.  It's amazing what that little amount of work does for my nails for a whole week.  I have to schedule it, though.   It DOES beat running to the nail salon and paying $45.

I'm not against nail salons...........I spent most of Claire's young life having acrylic and then gel nails.  There came a time, however, that spending that $45 on my nails wasn't an option anymore.  I had to find an alternative.  It's amazing how nicely hands can look with a little, inexpensive weekly pampering.  I don't snag my cuticles on the bedsheets either.

And oh yeah.........you can find beautiful clothing at thrift stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment