Total Pageviews

Friday, November 16, 2012

Bangin' Bangle Friday!!

You KNEW Friday was a special day, right?  Now it's even MORE special!!

Sometimes I just crack myself up.  Sigh.

Everyone has their favorites when it comes to jewelry...........earrings, bracelets, rings..........I'm a bracelet gal myself.  Nothing can make or break an outfit for me like a bracelet.  The perfect one gives me a little 'oomph' and makes me feel better.  The wrong bracelet?  Well, I might as well spend a couple hours in traffic.

 
I have quite a few bracelets, and as I was looking at them last night, it hit me that almost every single one has a story to tell.  What a wild life my jewelry has had!  With that in mind, I thought I'd devote my Friday blog every week to one of my bracelets.

This beauty started life as a ready made bracelet at Meijer, and then I 'goosed' it a bit.  Meijer is just across the street from my house, so I am there at least once a week.   Brendan is a Meijer employee, so I get a nice discount.  No matter what I run in for, I always make time to stop in the clearance jewelry section.  Mejier has some of the nicest costume jewelry I've ever seen, and when they mark it down, it's a fabulous bargain.  If you're patient and you don't want to pay full price, you can 'stalk' a particular piece and follow it's descent to clearance nirvana.  9 times out of 10, you can wait and no one else will buy it.  If they do and you lose out....well, it haunts your dreams.  Sad face.

Anyway, I had 'visited' this bracelet for weeks.  It was originally silver and black, and you know I have to have a little bit of gold in there, so at first I was drawn to it, but realized I wouldn't wear it if there was no gold accent.  As I watched it go down in price, it hit me: why not buy it and remake it with some gold beads?  I make my own bracelets all the time........remaking old bracelets of my own or taking apart thrift store bracelets and configuring them with my own beads.  If this bracelet got marked down to $3, I would buy it and remake it.

The day it was marked $3, I skipped happily (ok, maybe not.......Brendan DOES work there!) over to the craft section and found a packet of pretty gold spacers for $3.99 (minus my 10% discount).  I took it home, cut the (hopelessly too tight) silicone string and restrung it with the gold spacers on my own, much looser string.  That's another pet peeve of mine: why are so many ready made bead bracelets so doggone TIGHT?  Even for me, with my freakishly small wrists?  I've lost count of how many bead bracelets I've bought, brought home and restrung.  It's another matter of VISION.  If something's in the store and you like the look but don't like that fit, REMAKE IT! 

Obviously, that rule won't work with underwear or bras :P

The result of my 10 minutes of work?  A beautiful bracelet I love to wear.  I am still amazed that it took me so long to realize I could 'tweak' it and make it perfect.  Hopefully today's posting will make you see YOUR jewelry in a completely different light!

No comments:

Post a Comment