Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Donation Nation: Claire's Turn



Kinda looks like ours........minus the walker.........but wait a few years..........!!!

Just when I was patting myself on the back, thrilled that my own closet and drawers were all cleaned out and happy, it became time to clean out Claire's. Oy.

I had lulled myself into a false sense of pride, thinking because we had recently gone through all of Claire's pairs of shorts, that we had cleaned out the whole shebang. Nope, not even close. The mere fact that I was having a hard time hanging her clean clothes up in the closet should have been my first clue.

What started the whole thing? Claire had a date last night. She loves to wear dresses, and I remembered several were still in our guest room closet, having not made the spring pilgrimage to her room. When I went to get them, I found there were several large bags of donations on the floor of the closet, alone and forgotten. Grrrr........

In less than 1/2 hour, we managed to fill our upstairs hallway with piles of unwanted clothing and shoes. I quickly wrote everything down and had Brendan take the bags to the car. All Claire's hanging fall/winter clothing went into the guest room closet.......and order was restored to the kingdom. YAY!!

Now, once again, Claire can tell at a glance what she has to wear. No cramped racks or sad, lonely t-shirts lying on the floor. It's oddly satisfying.

I know it's time consuming, but it's necessary. You won't wear all your clothes or know what you have if you don't do this exercise, at least every season/weather change. It can be a suprising eye opener......like when we went through Claire's shorts? Usually we find she needs practically a new wardrobe. This year? She has 9 pairs she can still wear (and are still in style!).

It's always nice when your checkbook gets a break :)

No comments:

Post a Comment