Total Pageviews

Friday, June 14, 2013

The Columbus Dispatch Goes Poppin' Tags!!


Last Saturday's edition of the Columbus Dispatch (our lovely hometown paper), featured a story where they gave 3 of their interns each $20, and instructions on buying a specific outfit at a thrift store. One's outfit was OSU, one was Date Night, and the other was Business.

Now, for me, this would be a no brainer. I could possibly get 2 (3?) outfits for $20. Yet, I must digress. Now is the time where I remind myself that ours is a society that bows at the feet of The Real Housewives of The OC (and assorted cities), so I'll be kind.

I'm sure for a lot of Dispatch readers, this was a totally new concept. A whole outfit for $20? You mean 'Thrift Shop' isn't just a catchy song? Wow!

So, how did the interns do?

Well, as you can see from the first picture, they look totally presentable. The young man found Banana Republic chinos ($6.74 at Ohio Thrift), a Chaps button down ($$7.99 at Ohio Thrift, which I find a little pricy), and a nice tie (#3.99 at, you guessed it). I have never shopped at Ohio Thrift, and I find their prices a bit higher than Goodwill. There, you can find comparable button downs for $3.29, and ties for $1.50. I had been debating over whether or not to visit that store, but I think I'll continue to stick close to home.

The Date Night ensemble was a little less. Cute $6.99 dress from Goodwill, and since the young woman could wear children's sizes in shoes, she scored a great pair of boots for $1.99. She also ventured down High St. to one of Claire and my favorite resale stores, Rag-O-Rama, for a cute necklace at only $6.50.

The OSU outfit proved to be the hardest one to assemble. I can speak from first hand experience that it is VERY hard to find good quality OSU geat at thrift stores, as most folks wear theirs until it falls off their body. We're a devoted lot. This intern had to go to SEVEN stores before she was able to find the jeans ($4.99, Goodwill), crossbody bag ($2.99, also GW), grey sweatshirt ($2.99, Ohio Thrift), Homage T-shirt ($4, Clothes Mentor), and Block O pin (.99, Ohio Thrift). I think she did a good job, and would totally have made the trips she did, in order to put together a fine outfit for a fall afternoon at the 'Shoe.

Now, what's my take on their results?

The Date Night wins, in my opinion. She did a great job of finding something classy for the least amount of money, and the necklace was an added bonus, although if she'd been able to find that at a true thrift store instead of Rag O Rama, she might have only paid $2 at the most. No big deal. Besides, Rag O Rama is FUN to visit.

The OSU outfit was great, too. It can be frustrating to a new thrifter to shop second hand with an item in mind, and so her seven trips (without giving up, kudos!) aren't surprising. Most people might have just chalked one up to experience and headed to Kohl's or (shudder) Easton.........

Now, as for our buddy in his business attire. He didn't want to go anywhere else but one store, and wanted to get the outfit on his lunch hour, so he did all right. Those brands he got are pricy (personally, I can't afford to sneeze in Banana Republic), and he paid far less than their retail.

I wonder if these interns will view this assignment as something they want to experience again? I didn't get that vibe from the article.....but at least, the Dispatch highlighted resale shopping, for one brief, shining moment.

All because of a song :)


No comments:

Post a Comment