Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Concert Tee: Frivolous Expense or Investment Piece?



Last night, Claire and Brendan went to see Of Monsters and Men in concert. If you've not heard of them, check out their SNL performance on YouTube. An alternative band from Iceland, they're really fresh and fun. Claire has a girl crush on the lead singer :)

Of course, she had to buy one of their concert t-shirts (see picture #1). As usual, it banked in at $30.

Few things match the excitement of seeing a concert, then going to school the next day wearing the band's shirt. Not that I'd know. I didn't go see a concert until I was almost 20. Believe me, I've made up for it since then. Living in Vegas especially caught me up on some great concerts. Claire saw her first one in utero......I was 8 months pregnant when I toted my very pregnant belly to a Loverboy/Cheap Trick double bill on the Strip.

I remember back in middle and high school, feeling envious of my classmates, who stumbled sleepily into school wearing their Journey, Foreigner and Ozzy shirts, announcing to us less fortunates that yes, they DID have a better evening than I did the night before.

I am a much more laid back mama, and I personally have taken my spawn to numerous concerts. Claire attended her first (out of the womb) concert when she was 3. It was the Spice Girls, and she spent most of it crying because I wouldn't let her go hug Baby Spice.

$30 is a bit pricy for a t-shirt, right? Well, ordinarily I'd agree, especially since most of mine were $3.29 from Goodwill. However, it is extremely difficult to find a concert T second hand. Most folks hang onto theirs, and with good reason. Nothing brings back good memories of a great concert like donning the t-shirt for which you stood in a loooong line.

You don't have to attend the concert to grab one. Check out that lovely punker in the second picture. Yes, dear readers, that's yours truly, during my 80's new wave phase (from which I've never really returned). I found my precious, er, Adam Ant T at a record store on Morse Rd back in the day. I loved that thing.....evidently to death, because I have no idea where it went. I've also had t-shirts from a Fleetwood Mac reunion concert, and The Pogues.

Here's my humble opinion: continue to search thrift stores for concert tees. They ARE there, and occasionally you strike gold, as when Claire found her Ramones shirt. I practically have to peel that thing off her body to wash it. However, if you ever get the opportunity to see a band live, and you want their t-shirt, better get it then. Concert tees never go out of style, and you may have to pass up the after concert trip to McDonald's if you buy one, but you'll never regret it.

At least, I never have :)

No comments:

Post a Comment