Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Your Daughter: Your Own Personal Stylist



'You're wearing THAT???'

So much is written about the turmoil and strife between a teenage girl and her mom. You'd think there wasn't a sunny day in that whole decade! Sheesh! Yes, the hormones are storming the camps with both barrels blazing, but still.......a daughter can be a true joy to her mama's heart and life. I know, I speak from experience :)

Claire is my biggest cheerleader. She can be truthful but also tactful. I don't mind that she tells me when there's food in my teeth, because unlike the male members of my household, she remembers it might be useful to have that information BEFORE I greet about 20 people. We share clothes, shoes (sometimes.....her feet are much daintier than mine!), jewelry and perfume. I'm flattered she wants to! Teenage girls are known for having the inside scoop on what's new and what's not. Claire is a wonderful source of what NOT to wear or buy for her old mom.

Shopping with Claire has saved me from buying so many items of clothing that would have been mistakes. Conversely, she also tells me when something looks great on me, and I otherwise would have passed it by. At the tender age of 8, she convinced me to try my first pair of bootleg jeans, and the rest is history. I trust that Claire has my best interests at heart, she wants me to look great, and........honestly, what teenage girl REALLY wants to be embarrassed by her mom?

Not only is the winning end result a fashionable wardrobe, but because Claire knows I value her judgment, and she can be honest with me, she is also more open to MY opinion when it comes to HER fashion choices. I gotta admit, she hardly makes a misstep. We do have our differences....I'm always telling her to save her crew neck t-shirts for home and rock the v-necks outside, but this is a fashion democracy, NOT a dictatorship. I am thrilled by her modesty and her good sense. I'm also happy to see her sport her 'Ramones' and 'Blondie' t-shirts. This aging rocker chick made sure her kids got an all around musical education.

So, mams! Tap that resource you call your daughter! She will surprise you with her good sense and great style know how. Read an 'InStyle' together. Watch 'Fashion Police' together and laugh until you're both crying. Ask her what she thinks of her friends' clothing styles, and then LISTEN.

You will both be happier and more content. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment