Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hating On J. Crew



My J.Crew tote, that I take to work every day. I took this pic in my laundry room, so you could see that, yes, I'm just like YOU. Keepin' it real.

I love this tote. It's functional and really cool looking. I like that I can pick it up, stuffed full of my paperwork, and look pulled together. Well, as much as I possibly can.

I paid $4.99 for the tote at Goodwill. Want to know how much it retails for on the J.Crew website? $150. I'm not lying. It's not even real leather trim......just a pleasing fascsimile thereof. Nice, black quilted cloth and brass hardware. $150.

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT J.CREW THAT THEY CAN JACK THE PRICE UP ON EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING THEY SELL? Especially when I can find similar items for a tiny fraction of their prices?

One of my very first blog posts on here was about loving a J.Crew large link bracelet, that retailed for almost $90. Not even real gold or silver. Yet, I found a similar gold and silverplate bracelet at Goodwill for $3.99. No one would EVER know the difference, unless I told them.

Maybe that's it. Maybe a J.Crew fanatic lives for the day they get complimented on an item of clothing, or an accessory, so they can gush, 'Thank you! Got it from Da Crew!' I don't even know if that's how they say it.......

I have never understood how the mere act of a company slapping their label on an item immediately raises the price sky high. Yet, here we are.

I do like certain labels, and I know that in order to buy those things, I must pay a higher price. Most of the time, those items are made with superior materials......like a Michael Kors bag (drool).

The rest of the time? I can get away with something that looks smart, yet costs way less.

Or, a designer goodie I just happened to pick up at Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment