Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dimestore DIY: Necklace Metamorphosis



When I make a piece of jewelry from existing findings I buy from thrift stores, it's like making a recipe from scratch. A little of this, a little of that.........a LOT of trial and error.

I bought this steampunk-like necklace from Goodwill for $1.75. Wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it, but the small charm on it had peridot chips, and that's my birthstone. It's very hard to find peridot pieces that aren't too 'cutesy.'

First order of business was to remove the bigger, frame-like charm from the necklace. That was an easy decision, as the gold was peeling off! I also removed several of the round findings surrounding it. The gold was rubbling off, anyway. Then, it sat for a while. Like, a month.

In the meantime, I bought these cool earrings off the clearance rack at Walmart for $3. They were far too heavy for me to wear as earrings, but the beads are gorgeous, and they are all attached to gold ring findings.......these earrings will probably end up divided and used in various jewelry-making projects!

I removed one of the rings, and removed the peridot charm from the necklace. I replaced it's fading gold ring with the one from the earring. This task was made easier with a small wrench. I don't recommend twisting the ring closed with your teeth. If anything, it's a bad example for your daughter, after spending $4000 to have her teeth straightened :P

Once the ring was attached, I put the charm on an existing chain. VOILA! I love it! I don't know if I've ever had a peridot necklace before, but I'm very happy with this one. It can be worn alone or paired with other necklaces.

Not only do I now have a necklace I love, but there's the added satisfaction of knowing I made it myself. For $7 and a little sweat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment