Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I'm Going to Save You Gobs Of Money!!

How's THAT for a headline? Yep, it's true. I can save you 50%-75% of what you now spend on clothing. All by doing one simple thing.

TRY ON YOUR CLOTHES BEFORE YOU BUY THEM.

You can read that last line as many times as you want, but it's still going to say the same thing. Too simplistic? Impossible? No way, I know this first hand.

Back when I started thrifting, I was a thin gal who looked good in pretty much everything. Even so, oftentimes something I'd bought at the store and NOT tried on didn't fit quite right. So, unless I was planning another trip to that store, that item of clothing sat, lonely and unwanted and unworn. So sad.

When I pulled this at thrift stores, that piece MIGHT be taken back, if I remembered. Or, I would just turn around and donate it back. At least I had the tax write off. What a pain, though! And I'd spent more money than I should have.

If you try on everything you want to buy, you eliminate a LOT of unnecessary buying, not to mention saving on gas when you DON'T have to return to the store. I am striving for a much simpler lifestyle, and having less things goes along with that thinking. I find that when my closet is crowded, especially with unworn items, I just can't think straight. I can't find something to wear. Not worth it to me in the least.

Claire has found this out for herself. When she was invited to her very first prom, we went shopping for formals at Goodwill (of course). I talked her into one beautiful mauve gown that didn't impress her at all. Obediently she tried it on, and couldn't believe it when it zipped right up, fit her like a glove, and made the most of her figure. If she'd gone with her initial first impression, she would have missed out on a gorgeous gown that garnered numerous compliments and disbelief when others found it was a $10 dress!

So, in this busy day and age, do yourself a favor.

Utilize those dressing rooms!!


No comments:

Post a Comment