Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Economics Of A Good Haircut



Those of you who are my Facebook friends may notice today's 'do is a little more relaxed than when I had it done this past Saturday. We can blame the snow for that.......but I'm still happy!

By now, you should know I'm a pretty low maintainence gal. I do things as DIY as possible. For most things in my life, that works perfectly fine. Until recently, the same went for my hair.

At one time, I was able to spend $150 on a haircut and highlights. Wow, that was a looooong time ago. For the past 8 plus years, I have had my mom color my hair, and she does a fabulous job. As for the haircuts, other than a very short blunt cut I got in 2009, I have managed with yearly trips to the First Choice across the street from my house, and, yes, I'll admit it........I've been cutting my own bangs :X

In the past year, I've noticed my hair has been going through a teenage rebellion. Troubling, since I'll be 49 this year. I have cowlicks and odd stuff happening all over my head. All my usual tricks aren't working, and good hair days are very rare. Most days, I'd rather not look in the mirror.

My family is very nice to me, and they don't say anything about this change in my 'do. Maybe it's not as noticeable to the world as it is to me. I know my husband and kids are on top of things though.......they let me know when we ate out yesterday I had something questionable hanging out of my nose. Thanks, gang.

A couple weeks ago, after pretty much going crazy trying to get my hair to behave, I had finally had it. And I decided to call Saki.

Everyone should have a Saki in their lives. I met her when I was 18, and my regular hairdresser had left for California, leaving her clientele in Saki's able hands. I came to be grateful my original gal left!

I have followed Saki through numerous salon changes, a stint getting my hair done at her house, and ending up working for her as my second job back when Phar-Mor cut my hours for a few months. I have ALWAYS been thrilled with her work, and she even did my hair for both my weddings. She's a keeper.

Back to being a tightwad, low maintainence gal. I pretty much cut all beauty services out of my life a couple years ago, when things got tight. I couldn't remember the last time I'd had Saki cut my hair, and it was beginning to show.

Sometimes, you have to suck it up and spend money to look good. As we age, we need more help. Clothing needs to be cut differently, things need to be covered up, shoes need to be more comfortable, and we need to have flattering hair.

Saki does NOT charge that much for a haircut. At $40, my hair looks fabulous with just running my fingers through it, and I was a big girl and made an appt. for 6 weeks. I am determined to make sure I keep it, and that I put aside $10 a week so it won't set me back that much. Those of you at home are probably going, 'Duh, Erin,' but aren't we all like this? Things appear so expensive until we save manageable amounts weekly (monthly? bi-annually?)toward our goals.

When you find a good hairdresser, you'll know because they listen to what you want. That's what Saki does. She knew my aging hair needed some good layers to make it lay correctly. She uses marvelous products to make it behave. An added bonus was getting to catch up with a very good friend. I'm so glad we reconnected.

The best part of my haircut? Having my husband call me 'sexy.' That alone made my trip to Saki worthwhile <3

No comments:

Post a Comment